Sunday 12 May 2013

Mother's Day, Thank You.

Hello Readers. Today in America it is Mother's Day and it hurts. That is as simple as I can put it. Days like these hurt adoptees because it's another celebration we miss out on; it's another milestone our birth families aren't there for.

Today at work a lot of people came in telling me about how they've lost their mother, as a little kid or from old age. They all talked about how it's not fair that over the years they've forgotten memories of her. While I feel for their loss, I am so incredibly jealous of them. They HAVE memories. Even if they forget things they have pictures, and stories from family and friends. While all I have is me.

I would do anything to remember something, to even catch a glimpse of a picture, or to hear a story about her. I wish I had some thing other than my own heart to keep her by, but all I have is me.

Knowing I still have me lets me know I'm adoption survivor. As long as we adoptees have ourselves and each other, we're surviving.

Half of my clients today were Asian. They all spoke their native younger and asked where I was from. When I told them and they realized I'm adopted they all gave me their condolences for the loss of my mother through adoption. They all gave my their deepest wishes that I'd get to go home this summer.

It was wonderful, and so truly warm, and a gift of understanding I've never felt in my life. So thank you so much for calling me Korean and not American. Thank you for offering your acceptance of me as a real Asian. Thank you for everything you gave me through your kind words, holding me hand, and your hugs. Thank you.

No matter who or what you consider your family at this point in your life, Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment