Sunday 25 September 2011

Letter To Birthmother

Dear Mother:

Hello, I am your daughter. My birth name is Kang Sun Lee, And my adoptive and American name is Morgan Claire Pearson. I am searching for you and writing to you so you know that I am alive. I have been hoping for this my whole life. I can remember wishing for you when I was two years old. I need you to know that though we have been part since I was born, And we are strangers I have always felt a connection to you. I love you more than I could love anyone. I want you to know that you made the right choice. I grew up in a good finically stable home, I went to good schools and am attending college, But I have always missed you. I do not blame you and I have never been angry at you for putting me up for adoption. It is because you had the strength to give me up I know how much you care about me.

I am currently 20. I have dark brown eyes, And dark brown hair. My hair is soo long it reaches over half way down my back. I am 154cm in height and I weigh 91kg. As you can see in the pictures I have a few dark freckles on my cheek and nose, And my eyebrows are very spaced out. The freckles developed as I got older, So I have no birthmarks. I normally wear pants and an oversized long tank top and a nice sweater over it. I love to wear headbands with big bows and long necklaces. What’s interesting about my clothes is that I love to shop at Forever21, And I recently found out that it’s a Korean based store.

I have many different interests in life. I love to go to parks to run and to picnic. I especially love parks around lakes and with water fountains because I love the sound of water so much. I bake really yummy and cute cupcakes. I’ve tried making many Korean dishes like bulgogi, duk bok ki, mandu, sujebi, hoddeok, lots of egg side dishes, And kimchi. My bulgogi and kimchi are surprisingly very good, While my duk bok ki and sujebi turn out very badly. I always manage to overcook both! My best Korean dish is my mandu, It is very juicy and crispy! One of my greatest passions is art. I am very naturally gifted and am a very visual person. I started working with charcoal when I was 15 years old and took to it like a fish takes to swimming. I love to black out the page and pull all the highlights out with an eraser. When I was 18 I started using color pencils and getting into surrealism, Since then that’s what most of my work consists of. I have been a part of a few local galleries, Most prominent would be The Foot in The Door gallery at The Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA). No one in my adoptive family is very artistic, So I always thought my gift in art was from your or my birthfather’s families. The other big passion in my life is working with kids specifically Korean adoptees. I volunteer at Korean Culture Camp each summer; It’s always a highlight of each year. I am a good friend, role model, and older sister to many of the campers.

I had a very good education growing up and am still attending to my education now. I went to elementary school, high school and am currently going to college. My first year of college I went to an Ivy League private visual art school as a Fine Art major. I realized that my love of working with Korean adoptees surpassed my love of art. After one year of art school I transferred to a regular college. I am currently a double major of Sociology and Psychology with a specialty in Asian-American Social Culture. I am currently writing a book on my personal views and experiences of international adoption. After college I am moving to Korea and teaching English for two years. I want to learn about and live in the culture; I want to be a part of the traditions I never got to experience. I currently only know a handful of Korean words, But I am trying so hard to learn so if we meet one day I can speak with you.

I am a very outgoing and strong girl; I have always been an extrovert. I love to try new things and go to new places. Since I was adopted, I have never gone back to Korea. I am very excited and planning to go to Korea before I finish college and move there to teach. I am told in my adoption file that your 154cm in height, The same height as me! I am also told that your mother, my grandmother ran a draper’s shop. I was very excited to know that because I really love to sew too! I sew all sorts of unique purses by hand. I am also starting to sew skirts on a sewing machine. I hope to learn about other things we have in common, And any parallels in each other’s lives.

In parting with this letter I send you my whole heart, In hopes you will know how dear to me you are. I love you very much mother, and I love all my birth family very much. I have no true memories of you, But I hope we can make new memories together. I have ached for you, and have cried a sea of longing for you. I hope that you will write back, And I wish on every star that we will meet in the future. I love you mother..


Forever your daughter,
-Kang

No comments:

Post a Comment